Kisir is a traditional side dish in Turkish cuisine, and it is often served in mezze. It is characterized by it’s reddish color which is due to the Turkish pepper paste that is added to the mixture.
2 Cups Fine Bulghur Wheat
1/3 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 White Onion, Finely Chopped
2 Garlic Cloves, Crushed
1 Tbsp Tomato Paste
2 Tbsp Turkish Pepper Paste
1 Tsp Chili Flakes
3 Firm Ripe Tomatoes, Finely Chopped
2 Small Cucumbers, Finely Chopped
2 Tsp Dried Mint
1 1/2 Tbsp Pomegranate Molasses
2 1/2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
1/2 Cup Chopped Italian Parsley
1/2 Chopped Mint Leaves
1. Put the bulghur wheat into a large bowl and pour over two cups of boiling water. Cover with clingfilm and leave to soak for 20 minutes.
2. Heat a pan (over a medium heat) with olive oil and add the chopped onions and garlic. Cook for 10 minutes or until soft.
3. Add in the tomato paste, chili paste and chili flakes. Cook for 5 minutes with the onion and garlic, until fragrant.
4. Remove from the heat and cool at room temperature. Stir the mixture into the bulghur wheat.
5. Add the chopped tomato, cucumber, dried mint and parsley to the mixture. Add the molasses and lemon juice to the salad. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Garnish with the chopped mint leaves. Serve immediately.